Tuesday, June 18, 2013

An Unexpected Introduction

Monday, June 17    (Birthday)

Hello Family and Friends! We thought a blog would be a good way to try to keep everyone up to date on the girls. I've never blogged before...so we'll see how this goes:-)

Yesterday morning around 5 am we welcomed our beautiful baby girls into the world. It was quite an unexpected introduction. We spent Father's Day weekend in Albuquerque to spend time with family and to celebrate my 3rd baby shower. We arrived back home in Vegas around 11:00 pm and I was feeling completely fine. BUT...around 12:30 am I started feeling some pretty severe pain. It was a constant pain, however, so I truly didn't think it was contractions. Luckily, Justin talked me into going to the hospital. So off we went....

By the time we arrived and I was sent to the triage room, I was already 4 cm dilated. Quickly I was put into a delivery room... although our main goal was to prevent delivery! I was given a steroid shot to improve the girls' lungs as well as given medication to (hopefully) stop the contractions. The medication worked for a short time, but soon I was feeling the contractions again and they were getting more painful.

When I was checked again I was 6 cm dilated, at which point we were told that the girls would need to be delivered. After a quick ultrasound to check the girls' positions the doctor determined we would need to deliver by C-section. The doctor was called in, and I was prepared for surgery. By this point, the two of us were somewhere between complete panic and utter shock. Up until this point I had experienced an "easy" pregnancy with next to no complications. It was difficult to accept what was about to happen.

The surgery went well. Devyn Marie arrived first weighing in at 3 lbs. 3 oz. and about 15 inches long. Kinley Grace arrived a minute later weighing 2 lbs. 12 oz. and measuring 13 inches long. We were happily surprised to hear both girls cry during delivery. They were soon taken to the NICU and just like that...we were parents!

                                                            Devyn Marie Marsh

                                                      
                                                                 Kinley Grace Marsh

1 comment:

  1. It must have been such a scary experience but I'm so glad you are all doing so well. They are great sizes for 28 weeks! Congratulations on your little miracles, I can't wait to see them grow!

    ReplyDelete